This recipe was created by: Margaret Gates, she is the founder of the Feline Nutrition Foundation. Contributors to the recipe formulation and this article include Feline Nutrition Advisory Board members Marta Kaspar of Alternative Nutrition and Mimi Stein.
5.8.20
Yields: Approximately 84 ounces Pre-Preparation: 7 days Preparation: 1 hour, varies based on amount of batches made at once Ingredients: - 4.5 pounds raw chicken thighs; 80% of it should have bone and skin the other 20% should be boneless/skinless. I do 2 boneless/skinless thighs and about 8 with bone and skin - 7 ounces raw chicken liver - 14 ounces raw chicken heart. If you cannot find chicken heart, omit it and add an additional 4,000 milligrams of Taurine and 14 ounces more of chicken thigh - 8 ounces water; optional. Use bottled water as tap water can have extra chemicals - 4 raw egg yolks - ½ teaspoon (2,000 milligrams) taurine; buy in powdered form - 1 capsule (200 milligrams) vitamin b complex - 4 capsules (4,000 milligrams) wild salmon or wild caught small fish oil; buy in capsule form, bottles of straight fish oil tend to go rancid - 1 capsule (200 IU) vitamin e - 1 ¼ teaspoons lite iodized salt OR ¾ teaspoon iodized salt - 4 teaspoons pysllium husk powder; optional. Used for fiber to help kitty poop when first switching to the raw diet Required Tools: - Meat Grinder - you’ll want one that can grind bones - Kitchen scale - Large mixing bowl - Small mixing bowl - Cutting board - Sharp cleaver - Mixing spoon/spatula - Nitrile/Latex Gloves; optional, helps keep the meat from getting contaminated - Freezer safe containers Directions: 1. Place chicken, liver and hearts/gizzards into a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 1 week to help kill off any contaminants that might be living on the surface. This also helps when cutting and grinding the meat because you want it as cold as possible without being frozen solid. If the meat is not really cold when grinding, it will jam up your machine and become gross mush. 2. Take meat out of the freezer and thaw in the fridge for about a day and a half. It’ll still be slightly frosty in some spots. 3. Using the fork, combine all supplements, except fish oil and vitamin E, in the small bowl and set aside. 4. Place the large bowl under the chute of the grinder. Cut up the meat into about 1 inch chunks or strips. Using a larger plate on the grinder, start feeding a chunk or two at a time. Meanwhile, keep cutting up the meat and feeding it into the grinder. I use the wagon wheel plate on the low setting. Make sure to alternate between thigh meat, hearts, livers, and gizzards to help mix everything together. Toss in the vitamin E capsule and fish oil capsules. The casings are water soluble. Stop here and mix everything together and divide into containers for storage if you have full grown young cats. This leaves the bones a bit bigger, this helps clean kitties teeth. If you have kittens ages 6mo and younger or an elderly cat with brittle teeth continue to the next step. 5. Turn the unit off and unplug it, change the plate to the second to smallest size holes. Feed the meat through the grinder again. If there has been a bit of time between and the meat is not really cold anymore you may need to refrigerate the bowl of meat for a bit before doing the second grind. 6. Once the meat is ground the second time mix in the water, eggs, and supplements. Combine everything well and divide into freezer safe containers. Freeze until ready to use. To use: Remove container from freezer and place in fridge for thawing. If rapid thawing is needed, place container in sink with hot water. This method is also used for warming refrigerated portions. Get out enough for the meal and store the remainder in the fridge. Kittys prefer their wet food room temperature or body heat warm, plus it helps prevent upset tummys. DO NOT leave the meat out to thaw at room temperature, leaving it out for long periods of time just sitting leaves it vulnerable to bacterial growth. If you have a kitten you can mix hot water into the cold meat mixture making a more liquidy mush. Just add enough to warm, not to make it watery.
Chicken in the Raw